Thursday, September 29, 2016

An Interview with Nina Salcido


Nina Salcido is a Unit Manager at Southern New Mexico Correctional Facility who has been with the New Mexico Corrections Department for 20 years. She started out as a Secretary and continued to advance within the department becoming a Records Clerk, Records Manager, Classification Officer, Records Coordinator and now a Unit Manager.


How has corrections shaped you into the person you are today?

 I would not be the person I am today without all the work, life lessons, situations and experiences I have had in the last 20 years. I know that I have grown into someone that I am proud to be as I hold my work ethic as something important and defines me. I am confident, and have been able to experience different life aspects from the inmates to employees I have worked with.  I am ambitious, as I want to continue my growth as a person and employee within the Department of Corrections. Lastly, I have matured, this was not what I anticipated as a career, but I have developed and continue to develop to help people, by being  fair, consistent, and professional.

Who has influenced you the most?

Two, people have influenced me along the way: Mrs. Joni Brown, Deputy Director of Adult Prisons, who has passed away. She was influential in how I wanted to be a Supervisor, and be able to continue in her professionalism as she had shown me and continued to do within her career.  Mrs. Maria Martinez, HR (retired), she was a good friend and co-worker as she taught me a lot about myself, how to stick up for myself, and that if you are truthful and follow policy you can never go wrong!

What is the best advice you can give someone starting out a career in corrections?

It was told to me when I began that in Corrections there is always an opportunity for advancement; this is true there is constant movement and advancement within the department. You can learn job skills, life skills, so you can continue to promote within the department or outside.  Research prior to be sure this is an environment you want to be a part of, because it takes certain individuals to apply, work and retire from corrections.

What do you see as upcoming trends in corrections?

Lately, the department as made major changes to assist in life skills, programming, classification and recidivism with the department. This has been a culture change for staff and inmates. The Department has been implementing email and computers to assist when they are released back to society. Also, there has been a new trend in the age and education as per the persons applying and attending the academy. They have been good changes, but it all takes time to show the long term results and that is what we are looking forward to.



No comments:

Post a Comment